Sunday, August 19, 2012

This Doesn't End Well

You're going to be disappointed. I know I am. I'm back in Texas. And it's a crazy story how I got back here. Here's the first part, which I don't even remember writing in the midst of everything.


August 13 – When I learn I almost roomed with a crazy person

Man. Man oh man oh man. Where to begin?

I had a moment today where I decided to open up and express just how badly I want to go home sometimes, that this lack of access to the internet and other English speakers coupled with the last bits of jet lag is making me want to run away screaming when I'm not in the classroom (today was my first day off and time to think). So I walked out of my room and talked to the guy that lives in the next room, my Mandarin speaking buddy. Here's a rundown of the things he said:

9/11 was an inside job.
Formaldehyde is in our clothes.
Florescent lights are poisoning our brains.
December 21, 2012 will be the day of reckoning.
He's got five charges against him in Canada that he's run out on.
He's not going to court because courts are black magic because the judge wears a black robe and summons you.
It's possible to control things with your mind (he was sitting at the kitchen table trying to will the upstairs neighbors' floor A/C to destroy itself).
He's never had a girlfriend.
He went to a Chinese massage place his first or second night here, right near the hotel. He informed me of the prices. Refers to the end part as the “rub and tug.” Gross. Gross. Gross. This is a personal preference thing but he never shuts up about wanting Chinese girls and expresses interest constantly and at length about getting “the whole thing.”
He's going to ask the school to cut out the part in the contract about giving a thumbprint to sign in to work every day.
Cameras are watching us all the time.

The guy came here to get away from the law and have sex. He doesn't get on with the kids at the school at all. The only plus is that he speaks Mandarin but I will force myself to live on my own, pay more rent, be broke, I don't care, if I don't have to be around this one second more. Some people open up to you and there's camaraderie. Some people open up and you realize they are bad news. This is bad news. This is such bad news.

So I called up the Director of Studies. Couldn't get him. Called the helper welfare officer that's supposed to attend to our needs like living arrangements and all that. She blatantly told me that I should just live with him anyway since I'm not in any physical danger. Really? It's all because they paid a deposit to the landlord today to guarantee the apartment. I haven't even signed a contract on it yet. I haven't even signed a contract with the school yet. My visa hasn't even been converted over. I'm technically working here illegally, even though that's the nature of the Chinese bureaucratic dragon. It doesn't care until it cares. Sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes you have to wait until it wakes its lazy dragon self up to get anything done. That's why I wasn't worried about the visa. Now I'm questioning the whole thing.

Then I called one of the teachers that I'm replacing and hooked a taxi over to her place by showing the driver the address in pinyin on my cell phone. There I told her, her boyfriend, and two other teachers that are married, the whole story over salad and pasta. It came out broken and sketchy but I was freaked and worried about telling too much and worried I was overreacting. But basically it came out to, “This guy opened up to me and he's insane.” I've gone against my gut so many times in the past, so many times, but not this time. The guy I'm living with is, excuse my French infix, certi-fucking-fiable. He's a sociopath. If they sign the contract, they are hiring a nut.

I tried so many times to ask Steve who he misses back home, who he cares about, who misses him. Nothing. He hasn't contacted his family in a week and when I offer to let him use my computer at wifi spots he says, “No, they're used to it.” And then something about September 3rd. I think it's his court date. He claims the statute of limitations on his case runs out on that date but I don't know Canadian law and it seems like this was his way of saying that he got out just in time. I don't know everything he did but if they let him leave the country, maybe it wasn't too bad. Still. Black magic? What the holy hell?

I'm still freaked. Here's why I'm freaked.

I don't have the initial payment from the school yet, so I'm low on money. That should be fixed in the next two days, though.

I'm already in the apartment even though I haven't signed the contract. Moving out won't be hard but I'll have to tell him I don't want to be roommates.

I don't speak Mandarin. If I live on my own, I'm going to have a right crazy time of this place. But maybe that's for the best. I can't walk around holding someone's hand the whole time.

I'll have to pay more for my own apartment, which means more rent and more for the internet. I almost don't even care. Lonely and hanging out with good friends every so often would be better than shacked up with someone that makes your skin crawl.

I told a bunch of the teachers that he's insane. I needed to vent and they were the only people available. He told me all this stuff in confidence and even said, “I'd never say this to anyone at work,” but I've known the guy a grand total of six days. We're not best buds. We are coworkers. But now everyone gets to play the whole game of, “Is Ryan overreacting or is Steve a nut?”

To be fair, this was a prime day for me to freak out. Even without all this, I would have had an episode today. But maybe that episode helped put everything into perspective and open up some issues that I really wouldn't want to have dealt with down the road. I feel bad. I feel really bad about this whole thing.

So tomorrow Sabrina is coming over, pissed I'm sure but what can you do? It's her job to make sure we get good living arrangements. But she's also under pressure to make sure the school retains as much money as possible by having apartments handed over people moved out of hotels and into living situations as soon as possible. And that's what happened here. I let her usher us out of the Hanting Express so quickly that I didn't think too much about what was going on. Everything seemed perfect. And that's what I feel bad about. I'm messing up a good thing for them but it's so not good for me.

Then we're going to find some different apartments. I can't emphasize just how bad this is going to be. I have to tell Steve I don't want to live with him, which I'll soften by just saying I prefer living on my own. He wanted his own place too, so that kind of works out, even though I'm sure he was keen on not paying as much rent. Then I get to tell the directors what's going on and what Steve told me. I feel bad about that, really bad, but I'm not going to be the confidante for crazy.

I was really freaked out. At first it was like, “Ok, you're a conspiracy theorist. Those exist.” Then it was, “I shouldn't tell you this but I have some charges against me.” Follow that up with the whole court/black magic thing and I was sitting on the couch almost having a heart attack. I didn't know what to do. I thought that maybe I could ask him to stop but how do you follow that up? “Please stop. You're making me very uncomfortable. I'm sorry, we can't be roommates,” right when he was pouring his heart out to me? And when your version of “opening up” includes telling the real reason why you came here as hookers and legal problems, Jesus man.

That's something I looked into before coming over. Many westerners hook it to China to live easy and have sex and take advantage of the locals. They're running and they see this as a place of refuge where they can live like jerks. And I don't want to live with that. I don't want to work with that. And the kids should not have someone like that as a teacher.

Going to sleep now. Will update more later. Sorry for the bummer, guys.


August 14th

I woke up at 5:30 AM, still thoroughly frazzled. I packed everything in my room, paced around biting my nails, and then headed to a place on the corner called Goodway Coffee where I knew they had wifi. My plan there was to order the cheapest thing possible (“Potato and onion” which turned out to be an omelet) and hop online. My laptop wouldn't access but my iPhone did. So I used my phone to reactivate my phone and laptop plans in order to call or text home. Heard familiar voices and even if I am going to owe Verizon a bazillion dollars for international texts, it was worth it to send out my S.O.S., as in:

They haven't paid me the advance yet. They roomed me with a guy that's running from the law. They still haven't given a set date to legalize my stay here. I need to come home.

That was the gist of it. After eating my omelet and letting my family know the situation, I walked off in the opposite direction of the apartment, crossed over a river, and ended up in a gorgeous part of town with trees lining the streets. I sat in the shade while the locals all walked by me staring, and I just breathed in the open air. There was nothing else to do. No one had called me on my Chinese cell. Not a director or the welfare officer or any of the managers. I didn't want to go back to the apartment yet. There was nothing to do.

So I sat there with my backpack and two cell phones, this massive bruise on my arm from the botched blood draw last week where they missed the vein, and my little taxi book that I can use to point out locations to literate drivers. I was almost out of money, exactly halfway around the world from everyone I care about, completely prideless, wondering who cares about me, who I could lean on, who I've wronged, who I want to see again. It was weird because in that little span of time, everything was pretty peaceful.

About an hour later when I did make it back to the apartment, Steve was there. I was about to broach the subject of moving out but he beat me to the punch. His reasoning was that the upstairs neighbors are too noisy and he needs complete silence. I am not kidding. This is a guy that has lived in China before. You do not find complete silence in Chinese cities. As I type this, there are about a hundred women down in the plaza below me doing a flash mob. I just videoed it. And it's been going on for about two hours now. It's not too loud. I have putty earplugs anyway but you just don't find silence here and I kind of like that. There's always something to see or hear, always something going on that you just wouldn't expect. I really like this place, which is why I'm worried. I don't want to leave.

Sabrina showed me a ninth floor suite in a brand new plaza just across from the school's main office. I swear to you, if I close the curtains, I could be in Vegas. It's at the very end of the hall, windows on three sides, more lights than I can count, a bathtub (not something you normally find in China), a security guard downstairs, and a view of the city that is, well, I think this a gesture to right a wrong. It's their way of saying, “Sorry for rooming you with a criminal.” They offered to do the rent in installments, up the cash advance that I still haven't received but that they now guarantee will come tomorrow. I already have cable and there are about two months of internet I can access for free once I hook up a router. But I still haven't unpacked. I'm waiting to meet with the directors tomorrow to see if they will actually make good on the money and really I want to know what's going to happen with Crazy Steve. Did they finally background check him? What did they find? He's not my problem anymore but I don't think the guy should be working with kids.

Here I am, drinking plum juice.

Let's take stock.

I freaked out a bunch of teachers by telling them my roommate is crazy. He is. Here's a horrible sentence: It's weird when someone you don't know tells you that someone else you don't know is a nut even though those two people you don't know don't even know each other. What do you believe? How seriously do you take them?

I freaked out my family and friends.

The teachers I don't know went out of their way to feed and support me.

My family and friends went out of their way to figure out how to get me home.

I turned 29 two weeks ago, all worried about getting older, but I've never felt more helpless or like a child. The end of one of my favorite books, Scholars and Gypsies, has this line: “We are young. We can survive on nothing.” This is not turning out at all like I expected, not life, not this job, not this country, not my friendships, not my own heart. The jet lag coupled with my own deep instincts coupled with my tendency to worry just makes my current decision-making into a boat spinning along in a typhoon.

Right now I'm just going to breathe again. The sun just went down. I'm full of weird gummy plummy gunk and I'm worn out from lugging my stuff across town again.

Pleasant dreams.

August 15th

Getting the money tomorrow. Everyone is suddenly being really nice, attending to my every need. I think they're really scared of me leaving or whistleblowing. Not sure. Need some feedback. My head is still going in circles and some perspective from other people would be nice.

For clarification, the guy that I was rooming with is from Canada. Apparently he fancies himself a conspiracy theorist and resisted arrest during a routine traffic stop. The director said in the most vague way possible, “Sometimes people say too much and shoot themselves in the foot and end up without a social circle,” referring to Steve. He's not exactly a hardened criminal but trust me when I say this is one of the most unnerving people I've ever met.

On the plus side, I've made several new friends: Kirk and Stefanie (I'm taking over their classes), Jason and Cocoa, both couples, both very supportive and understanding of my situation. They fed me the other night when I left the apartment. Kirk and Stef are from England, Jason and Cocoa from the US.

Supposed to fly to Hong Kong to get my visa legally converted in two weeks. That's pretty common apparently but I'm going to do some more research on it to see if it's legal/possible. Still frazzled and still have my bags packed.

These people are going to have to make good on everything tomorrow or I'm out.

UPDATE: August 20, 2012.

I did get out. And now I have to explain everything that happened after. Guess I have plenty of time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment